Friday, November 7, 2014

Training

Back on the horse again.
I've started training again, this time with intent. I'm going to race in Moab at the Red Hot 55k. This is a new distance for me, truth be told I've never raced longer than a half marathon, which wasnt all that bad, considering I did it on less than 35 miles a week and with a LOT of junk miles. Being a new father has a weird affect on your time management skills, I now get up at 5 am to make the gym before 6 and run on my lunch break just so I have time with my daughter before bedtime. Afternoons and weekends filled with junk miles and half assed training sessions are not options for me any more. Mileage for the sake of Mileage will surely derail my training plan in the form of injuries, loss of motivation or lack of preparedness. I believe that the foundation of my plan for this 55k goes back to my ability to suffer, the mitochondria are there, they still work. My V02max is shit, I have no speed left in my legs, no time or cartilage left for 50-100 mile training weeks, so sharp focus and attention to detail will have to get me to the start line in February. Good old fashioned stubbornness and grit are going to get me through the finish line.  Thinking top 1/4 in my age group would be a decent accomplishment considering my current fitness state and time line. Next adventure planned, goal set, time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment