Monday, February 27, 2012

Small steps

To say it's been an interesting few weeks would be an understatement, with a new dedication to my fitness and health I changed my diet and workout habits drastically. I joined CrossFit and adopted the diet that come with the territory, I was very sceptical at first, a diet that relies on meat based proteins and natural fats as huge staples definitely got my attention. But after some research and a little cooking I realized this a great way to eat if you are like me and love meat. It's already based on things I love to eat, meat, fat and rich filling foods, however removing cheese from my diet was a struggle to say the least. Eating more calories and filling up on red meat and basic vegetable combos like tomatos and avocados with homemade mayo is by far a better alternative to lettuce and protein shakes. But any way on the to workouts, CrossFit is unlike anything I've ever done before, Olympic lifting with flexibility and gymnastics type moves is a hell of a workout, every workout kills you in so many different ways, one day may be squats with huge amounts of weights to near failure, the next day maybe 1500 meters on a rower for time with burpees and scaling 6ft walls. It's never boring and competition is great.
I've continued upping my weekly mileage the last 3 weeks, starting with 3 miles a few times a week to test my shin splints out. 2 weeks ago I threw in a 4 miler to test the waters, last week was a big one for me.

Here is the break down

Tuesday 3 miles
Thursday 4 miles after a pretty killer workout at BlackBox
Friday another 4 miles
Saturday with Team in Training was 6 good miles, the last 2 were with a few rests to help out some other runners.
Sunday 4 miles. I had a great day, one of the first days I could struggle through the mid run fatigue and finish strong without everything going to shit.

Although this week didn't follow my normal "3 weeks before a 10% increase" schedule I'm fairly confident I can handle it no new soreness or tweaks. Other than being pretty drained I felt great, and I cant wait to get my mileage up to something significant and get a little speed under me. It's so long since I been able to go fast, to be able to find that fluid 6 min pace, lock it in and cruise for as long as you want. I miss that feeling more than I want to admit to myself. Well I'm probably going to get fired if I don't get back to work, time to end this. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment